On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 2:01 AM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
> packages from source any more.  It's all "where can I get the binaries?"
> these days.  Kids.  Sheesh. [2]

Since the days of the late Roman Republic, old people have been
telling young people to get off their lawn ;)

>   How much pain is it to tell users when to use
>
>         C:\PATH\TO\HELL
>
> vs.
>
>         C:\\PATH\\TO\\HELL

Well, that's just C-style escapes - one of the two main nasties with
cross-platform code (other being \r\n->\n translation and the
resulting binary/text distinction).  Actually, make that three -
weirdly implemented standard C library (which is why you should not
trust os.tmpname() directly in Windows, kids!)

My point was that you don't see anything except the canonical DRIVE:\
....  paths in LUA_(C)PATH on Windows.

Every script reveals its author's prejudices - install.lua goes to
some trouble to find $HOME/bin because that's the way I like to work.
Windows is a mess, so we pick the actual Lua directory for installing
scripts.  But I'm very aware that I only really know Linux and Windows
[1] - I should spend more time in my FreeBSD virtual machine ;)

steve d.

[1] my dear wife runs OS X, an elderly PPC Tiger.  I try not to remind
her she's running Unix.