On 09/30/2013 03:03 PM, liam mail wrote:

On 30 September 2013 22:26, Stefan <stefan@chehalispost.com
<mailto:stefan@chehalispost.com>> wrote:

    The Lua Forum is used by thousands and helps promote Lua to a
    audience that does not feel comfortable with using a mailing list

Wow I did not know about that. Every time I have looked at the forum it
just had unanswered question; once I thought that I had seen tumble weed.

--Liam

Questions can take a couple of days to get answered, since the volunteer moderators are the primary source of expert info (along with Luiz, who has been a great help) and they are not full-time employees. There are literaly hundreds of answered threads in the last year, with a few helpfull discussions along the way.

The number of lurkers (not bots) that search the forums and use it as a read-only resource is quite high. The ratio of searches to posts is in the four digits.

I recently saw (yet another) "Why is Lua not more popular" thread in this list. I truly think that making it more accesible can only help in this regard. Holding some hands, letting people know that is not all serious and can be quite fun, and just allowing the (for example) twelve year-old aspiring programmer someplace to ask (to us) stupid questions. This is what I feel the Lua Forums accomplished.

But if it is truly not worth the over $1000 I have paid in extra hosting fees over the years (which I cannot judge without some input), then it may be time to just release the domain.

Hence the title - "The future of the Lua forums". I am a regretably busy person, and I would love to just spend gobs of time getting it all spic-and-span. But that is not the case, and I am forced to evaluate if the investment is worth it. I was hoping some others would be able to provide some assistance or suggestions to sway the balance.