Hi Andrew,

> On 27 Sep 2013, at 12:16, Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@trms.com> wrote:
>
> BTW: I can always figure out what I need to do from a make file. ALWAYS. I'm about 90% effective with a .config file. 35%ish from CMake and 0 for 3 with slingshot.

In case it helps any, slingshot is nothing more than a bunch of helper scripts from gnulib, along with some Makefile fragments to ease the release process, a bunch of m4 of macros for setting up continuous integration on Travis from github, and a program for generating rockspecs.  Really, slingshot is just Autotooled Makefiles with the shared stuff factored out for sharing between projects.

So, unless there is compilation involved, all the Autofoo is only necessary if you are patching and redistributing... The (slingshot using) upcoming Zile and recent lua-stdlib distributions, for instance, ship with everything pregenerated, along with a rockspec that lists where all the install able files should be copied - so you ignore all of build-aux and the .mk make fragments entirely, and just read the rockspec and the .lua sources it references :-)

Cheers,
--
Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT Vaughan DOT pe)