On Sep 26, 2013, at 6:58 PM, Athos Ribeiro <athoscribeiro@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I would like to know if there is anyone working on the port of lua50 (5.0.3-6) to arm 64.
The reason I am asking it:
Steve Mcintyre posted a list of modules that are written in assembly and need port, and this version of Lua was listed there:
"Lua programming language implementation; x86 asm for performance in rounding; low priority".
(source: https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/OPTIM/Assembly)

Jon 'maddog' Hall has been talking about starting a contest in order to get all these assembly code ported to C, to provide portability and in some cases even optimizing the code.

So again, is anyone working in porting the assembly code in question? If not, who are the developers maintaining that code?

I would like to work on it for my undergraduate thesis at Universidade de Brasília, Brazil, but first I would like to estabilish some contact with the maintainers. Would anyone want to talk about it?

Athos Ribeiro

I can't talk for Lua 5.0, but 5.1 and 5.2 compile and run on ARM without modification (we do such builds every day). Lua is almost pure portable C code, and the few places where it does architecture specific tricks still have generic equivalents it can fall back on when compiling on different architectures.

--Tim