> For information, how did you build/obtain the Lua interpreter and .so file
> binaries? Is it possible to build these in Xcode?

I built Lua from source downloaded from Lua with the C compiler from Apple.
I downloaded the command line tools from Apple Store after registering as
a developer. I don't use Xcode but it is certainly possible to use it
to build Lua, though I haven't an Xcode project for it.

> Are the Linux (x86) .so
> binaries compatible with OSX or did you have to build them specifically?

AFAIK, they are not compatible.