On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Fabien <fleutot+lua@gmail.com> wrote:
> ). In most situations, nobody would want to read your sources if you gave
> them for free; they won't bother studying a decompiled version thereof.

This is such an important point.

Quick story: I was having dinner with a pointy-haired boss (but also
awesome guy) from another company. I made that point by saying, "If I
wanted to sandbag my competitor for the next 12 months, I'd send them
our source code." I went on to explain that in the time a team
understands, and can separate value from legacy from mistake, another
company's source, they'll be looking at an historical artifact.

Unfortunately, that dinner was also attended by one of our developers.
He didn't appreciate that part of the evening. Lesson learned on my
part, as I had inadvertently called his baby ugly, even though that
was not at all my intent.

-Andrew