Thanks Phill, wondered about it but it sounds untenable. :-)

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Phill Djonov <phill@vec3.net> wrote:
While the GC "has" that information, it isn't stored explicitly, and
it would be incredibly inefficient to obtain it from the GC . What the
GC *does* explicitly have is a giant linked list of all collectable
objects. That includes every live object (which you're interested in
scanning), every dead object (which need to be filtered out so that
they're not unintentionally resurrected), strings (which can't hold
references), and a number of internal objects like function protos,
c-closures, closures and the backing storage for each of their
upvalues, userdata objects, and a few other things along those lines.
Chances are, scanning the GC list for references to a given object
would cost about the same as a full collection. I can't imagine
wanting to incur that cost just to send a simple notification.

--
Phill Djonov
Programmer, Tools and Graphics