Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> writes:
>> It never occurred to me to try integer keys (or rawgeti), but as that
>> presents additional issues (e.g., one must come up with a system to
>> assign small-integer keys without conflicts)
>
> Lua provides that mechanism built-in -- consult luaL_ref.

Ah, indeed.  Though of course then the question becomes where to store
the index in C code (using a static variable wouldn't work, because the
luaL_ref values are presumably per-lua-state)....

Thanks,

-miles

--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I