On Sep 5, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

Really? I was under the impression it wanted an _expression_ list
(of which it uses only the first three items). In which case I don't
see the ambiguity between __call and __in (or whatever it could
be called).

At the syntax level (dare I call it the language lawyer level?)
you are right, of course. But what Lua does to the first of those
expressions is to try to call it.

$ lua
Lua 5.2.2  Copyright (C) 1994-2013 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
for k in 3 do print(k) end
stdin:1: attempt to call a number value

Urgh .. what a mess. That's certainly not what the Lua Ref manual says, and is not consistent with other places that _expression_ lists are used.

--Tim