Hi

Wow, you guys are quick. Three working solutions and a debate about the subtleties of a solution, all in the time I would be chewing my pencil and staring at a blank sheet of paper Emoji

I tried all 3 solutions, they all work fine.  I am still trying to digest how they all work though. Its a very useful example in learning how pattern matching works,  it would be a good and practical example problem for the Lua wiki page.

Thanks to everyone for your help

Regards Geoff