Hi,

As a follow-up to my message from March, I'm very happy to announce we
just reached 300 entries in the LuaRocks repository (that's 300
different things for which you can run 'luarocks install thing').
Counting multiple versions of projects in the rocks/ and rocks-scm/
repos, that totals 980 rockspecs so far. This is another little
milestone showing that the community keeps growing and contributing.

Back in April, I wrote an informal document on the history of LuaRocks
up to that point:

http://luarocks.org/doc/history.pdf

I didn't release that then because I was sidetracked into writing an
academic paper on LuaRocks, which was now accepted at SBLP 2013 and is
due to be published in a future edition of Lecture Notes in Computer
Science. This will hopefully be a small contribution to the scarce
academic literature on package management.

As a bonus, here's the updated graph as of today:
http://luarocks.org/doc/luarocks_evolution_300_2013-08-15.png

Just as it happened with the 250th module, it is nicely symbolic that
the 300th project is also a pure-Lua project that makes good use of
the LuaRocks modules ecosystem. Check out the dependency tree for the
300th module, lua-jet:

lua-jet
   lua-cjson
   lua-websockets
      luabitop
      copas
         coxpcall
   luasocket
   lua-ev
   lpack

It's great to see that our original goal of having a platform that
fosters cooperation and sharing of Lua modules has become a reality,
and is more so each day.

Kudos to everyone involved!

-- Hisham
http://luarocks.org/