----- Ursprüngliche Message -----

Yes. I know.

> Code written this way, however, doesn't work in Lua anymore.

Exactly! It doesn't work in Lua anymore, which is to be avoided whenever possible. And this was my point about the importance of alignment between Lua and LuaJIT. I was wondering if there are  certain things  that could be done/accepted/aligned on both sides (e.g. some kind of annotations, which can be ignored by Lua VM currently, but may help LuaJIT; or may be something else, which is allowed by both Lua and LuaJIT, but where only LuaJIT could currently benefit from it, and so on), so that it is a valid Lua code running on any Lua implementation, but performing particularly well under LuaJIT. It would be nice to write as little LuaJIT specific code as possible, but yet be able to benefit from LuaJIT as much as possible.

-Leo