Lua'ers,

I am looking for a nice way to internationalize my Lua programs.
Ideally something that follows the gettext model:  A program to extract
message strings into a file (like xgettext), then a program to merge
extracted string to an existing translation file (like msgmerge) and
finally something to compile message files in an efficient format.

Actually wrapping libintl would be super easy, but it's the message
extraction part that looks hard.

What do people use for message translation and internationalization?

Any hints welcome!

- Marc