----- Ursprüngliche Message -----

Is it really the case? In Lua it is possible to define operator + by means of a metatable even today, without my extension.
Do you say that it slows done everything already now? If not, why would my proposal make things slower? I just have the same thing in mind. The only difference is that I want to allow user-defined lexemes for the new operators.

Another remark about runtime performance is:
I think LuaJIT is pretty good in optimiting metatable and table lookups. After all, it has to do it already now for a set of predefined special methods in metatables.
And Lua VM anyway does it for a set of predefined special methods in a metatable.
Therefore, I don't see how my extension would change performance. It will be the same lookup, but the set of keys (i.e. special method names) is now extendible.

> Yes, you could theoretically restrict the scope of the operators to
> only apply to a certain set of functions, but now you're starting to
> lose the convenience and the generic-programming nature of operator
> overloading.

I like these arguments more, because they are more technical ;-)

Well, I agree with you that dispatching based on type of all arguments would be nice.
But if understand current way of how Lua handles operators via metatables and special methods (e.g. operator + or -), what you describe is not how Lua works today. Today dispatching is done based on the metatable lookup of the first argument, right?  Therefore my proposal followed exactly the same approach. Should Lua ever introduce function/operator overloading based on types of arguments, my proposed feature could make use of it.

The goal of the proposal was to introduce mimimal changes and follow the current practices.

> Honestly, the better solution is to go ahead and modify the VM core so
> that you can dispatch the operators according to the metatable, and
> actually get your dynamic dispatch.

Yes, modifying the VM would be a more powerful way to implement it. But it requires more modifications, it implements more than one feature IMHO (it extends not only the syntax, but also Lua's operator/function overloading semantics) and these things are orthogonal, because dispatching based on types of all arguments is an interesting feature on its own, even without any user-defined operators. For me, doing one thing at a time is a safer approach.

Modifying a VM could be a next step, if enough people say they want to dispatch the operator based on types of its arguments. But somehow I doubt that it is likely to happen in Lua soon, bacause it is dynamic language without strict typing ...

-Leo