On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:53 AM, Leo Romanoff <romixlev@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I continue my experiments with Lua and I get more and more excited about the language and its implementations. It is so small and so powerful!
>
> One of the aspects that I like most about Lua is its runtime efficiency. Lua VM is already pretty fast. And LuaJIT is really one of the best JITs around. Which makes me think that among other things, Lua can be a very interesting target platform for other (mostly dynamic) languages. One could create very efficient implementations of other languages by simply compiling them into Lua. But this ides is not new and was explored by quite some people.
>
> When it comes to using Lua as a target "low-level" language, I miss certain features that would make it a more efficient platform for such a role. Those features could also benefit Lua even when it is used a primary language. I have quite some questions and ideas about it, but I don't want to put too much information into a single message. Therefore, I'd like to start with a simple question.
>
> This time I'd like to ask a question about custom user-defined operators.
>
> As a preparation, I've read this page (as well as mailing list archives, etc) about this topic:
> http://lua-users.org/wiki/CustomOperators
>
> While I can see that a few operators can be modeled to some extent by existing Lua syntax, I also feel that there is a lack of a generic solution for it by means of a pure Lua. Of course, using Metalua or some macro systems for Lua one could probably achieve the goal, but it sounds like an overkill for me.
>
> Therefore I was thinking about the following idea:
> - Introduce in Lua a standard mechanism to define a new operator. This definition could look like this:
>   lang.defineop('symbolic form', 'metatable method name', precedence, associativity, mode)
>
> ( This API is a bit inspired by Prolog-way of defining operators. For an example, see http://www.learnprolognow.org/lpnpage.php?pagetype=html&pageid=lpn-htmlse40 )
>
> I used 'lang' as a new namespace for language-specific extensions here. It could be anything (e.g. debug, etc).
>
> The semantic of defineop arguments is as follows:
> - Symbolic form defines how the operator looks like, e.g. '<<<' , '%%' , '<=>'
> - Metatable method name defines a method that should be invoked from the metatable when this operator is used. The value could be e.g. '__produce', '__send', etc
> - Precedence would define operator precedence compared to other operators
> - Associativity would define if it is left-associative, right-associative, etc
> - Mode would define if it is prefix, suffix or infix. It may also specify that it is an unary operator.
>
> All standard Lua operators could/should be predefined using this approach (or at least pretend they are defined this way).
> [...]

Now, I'm a big fan of overloaded operators -- I'm a shameless C++
junkie. I'd like to have operator overloading in Lua.

But I don't think the idea meshes well with your original rationale!

If you're talking about compiling some other language to Lua with the
rationale of taking advantage of Lua as a high-performance, low-level
target, then operator overloading is actually counterproductive. It
just adds an additional overhead to parse time, with no benefit --
you're ALREADY running the code through a compiler to generate the Lua
code in the first place, so why shouldn't you output the most
efficient code possible in the first place? The code is probably not
going to look like something a human would have written ANYWAY, so
operator overloading won't help with readability either.

So what's left?

/s/ Adam