Still seems to me that a second return value from type() is by far the most
straight forward solution to this. Anyone who does not like this can easily
front it with a wrapper in Lua to do it however they wish.

This could also be usefully extended by a new '__type' metatable key. If
present, its value would be returned as the second return from type(). So
classes/types created from table or userdata type could easily be set up to
return an appropriate sub-type.