On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Andrew Wilson <agrwagrw@gmail.com> wrote:
These benchmarks assume naive programmers for the languages, making them useless.

They are useless for advanced Lua programmers; they're actually quite representative for novice Lua programmers, and somewhere in between for intermediate :) Granted, use of "local" is so simple, and well documented (wiki, gem) that there is little excuse not to use it. But only advanced Lua users have time/interest to learn such intricacies as the idiom gstr= table.concat({gstr}, str), which is an optimization at the expense of clarity.

Actually I couldn't understand that line and sure enough, it is not equivalent to gstr=gstr..str. The intended _expression_ was likely table.concat({gstr, str}), showing again how optimization has a price (clarity, which in this case led to a typo which still compiled fine).

So I ran some tests on stock lua 5.1 running in a virtual machine. It shows that the table.concat({gstr, str}) is in fact slower. This is (surely, but I'm no expert) because that algorithm creates a new table every time through the loop, which is if I'm not mistaken the second optimization discussed by Roberto in his gem article. So I moved the table creation out of the loop:

local tt={gstr,str}
while i < imax+1000 do
        i=i+1;
        tt[1]=gstr; gstr=table.concat(tt) -- was gstr=gstr..str

These are the timings that I obtained, I hope the formatting doesn't get clobbered:

str.length |       exec.tm.sec
           |    A       B        C
256kb      |  48sec   56sec    47sec
512kb      | 194sec   225sec   189sec