On Jul 6, 2013 12:11 PM, "Javier Guerra Giraldez" <javier@guerrag.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Tim Hill <drtimhill@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Exactly!!
> >
> > On Jul 6, 2013, at 5:20 AM, Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It does seem awfully strange to me: Lua's strings can contain any byte,
> > because they store the length separately from the string data. This is
> > generally considered a good thing, especially compared to C strings
>

> then the choice is obvious: use an 'array' library.
>
> --
> Javier

But as I explained earlier, using a library won't change the fact that the underlying data structure (the table's array part) can't store nil, thus penalizing performance.

BTW, some people might find this long discussion and all the radical ideas being thrown around to be tiring, but I'm personally quite happy to see so much brainstorming going on (as long as it remains civil). I like that this list is open to discussing ideas!