First things first, I am not interested into meta discussion about the discussion. But there is one of your points that surprises me:

On 07/03/2013 06:08 AM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
The next few points are comments rather than points already made.

1. Any solution that addresses only arrays does not solve the problem
    identified by the OP.

I would really like to hear Tim's opinion, as I read the OP differently:

But it all rather breaks down with arrays (sequences). I cannot have sparse arrays, which in Lua terms means I cannot have "nil" in an array element.

To me it seems that a solution to arrays would solve the problem of the OP. And it would easy the handle with lists (arguments and results). Currently there is no standard first citizen type in Lua that can handle lists very well IMO.
--
Thomas