Tim Hill <drtimhill@gmail.com> writes:
> "empty", to my mind, is just a value stored as a placeholder so that
> an array stays an array when it has "holes" .. perhaps what's
> messing people around is my use of the name "empty" .. perhaps
> "hole" might be better (? "black hole").

Er, how about "placeholder"

That emphasizes the fact that it's essentially a normal "thing" with
no particular meaning or use other than being put places...

[Of course, then people would start using it for stuff... >< ]

-miles

--
Conservative, n. A statesman enamored of existing evils, as opposed to a
Liberal, who wants to replace them with new ones.