You can do this of course, but only at the expense of not using arrays to hold rows. I guess more or less what I'm saying is this:

-- The cleanest, most obvious way to map a SQL row into Lua is as a Lua array.
-- Most databases have numbers, strings, boolean (maybe), NULL and BLOB (maybe)
-- Again, there is an obvious clean mapping of each database type to a Lua type (BLOBs aside)
-- Except if SQL NULL maps to nil, you cannot put the NULL (=nil) value into the array

So you either have to map NULL to something other than nil, or choose a different representation in Lua, which means moving away from the obvious mapping to a non-obvious one to work-around the nil-array problem. At this point, in my mind, you are swimming upstream *against* the language, rather than having it help you (which, in most other ways, Lua excels at).

--Tim