> In the 2012 Workshop presentation, Roberto talks about deprecating the
> old patterns, so unicode in gmatch will probably never see the light
> of day... I don't know if/how he plans to handle Unicode in LPeg.

I am not that sure about deprecating the old patterns, at least any
time soon. (LPeg is still not "done", and it is somewhat big for a
standard library.)  Anyway, we do not have plans to add unicode support
to patterns, except perhaps through some pre-defined patterns like the
one I mentioned in a recent message.

In LPeg I would like to incorporate a better support for Unicode, but
without breaking the current support for byte-oriented match. LPeg is
highly composable, so it is easy to introduce new patterns that play
well with the old stuff.

-- Roberto