On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com> wrote:
I know that shared objects under Windows are an exercise in unspeakable
horror, suffering and self-defilement, but I'm assuming the ABI is
stable enough that you can just use a competent compiler when compiling
stuff written in C, and use MSVC if you really must for C++?

DLLs aren't _that_ bad ;)  The ABI is not the problem, the different runtimes are.  MSVC compilers target their own C runtime, mingw uses the one that comes with Windows (much more sensible).  Different runtimes will have different allocators, etc and generally it will all end in tears unless modules take special care not to use the C library - possible but awkward and non-portable.