On 30/05/2013 11:29, Miles Bader wrote:
Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> writes:
Also, one can argue whether writing 3. is any better than 3.0. (It saves
typing one character, but it is an easy one to type.)

Hmm, I use the "3." / ".1" style a lot, just because I think it's
prettier than "3.0" / "0.1"...

I never use the 3. / .1 style, because I think it is much uglier than using an explicit zero, and it is easier to miss the dot with small fonts and bad eyes... That, and the fact I am French, so we use a comma as decimal separator, and a 3, / ,1 would be even uglier! Perhaps that's why that style doesn't look natural for me... :-)

Anyway, it is the same kind of debate that tabs vs. spaces, placement of opening brace, braces vs. do / end, and so on... Only personal taste, globally.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France