On May 8, 2013 3:30 PM, "Mason Mackaman" <masondeanm@aol.com> wrote:

> functions like gc:paint(output,x,y) (or something like that)
> I was just wondering if anyone has experience with that syntax for Lua and if you know where I could learn it and what its called.

That's the colon operator. It's equivalent to calling the function like this:
gc.paint( gc, output, x, y )

So, calling a function that's in the "gc" table with "gc" as the first argument. It's used mainly to make object-oriented programming in Lua easier. In this case, tables behave as objects.

You can read more about this in Chapter 6 of Programming in Lua: http://www.lua.org/pil/16.html