On 5/7/13, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, they have. You may need to update your Xcode and Xcode command
>>> line tool package to see this.
>>

>> https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
>>
>> Command Line Tools (OS X Mountain Lion) for Xcode April 2013 (April 15,
>> 2013)
>> Command Line Tools (OS X Lion) for Xcode April 2013 (April 15, 2013)
>>
>> $ hdiutil mount xcode462_cltools_10_76938260a.dmg
>> $ pkgutil --payload-files /Volumes/Command\ Line\ Tools\
>> \(Lion\)/Packages/DeveloperToolsCLI.pkg  | grep llvm-gcc | head
>> ./usr/bin/i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2
>> ./usr/bin/llvm-gcc
>
> To be clear, typing "gcc" at a shell prompt gets you llvm-gcc. Which is the
> one that has the optimization bug at the start of this whole thread. "cc"
> gets you clang.
>
> You're right about the machine I'm typing *this* on. gcc isn't a symlink to
> llvm-gcc here. I don't wanna deal with 10.7 right now.
>
> Jay

Yes, everything I said is correct. There is a distinction between gcc,
llvm-gcc, and clang.
gcc has been removed. (autotools is also removed.)
llvm-gcc still ships, but all maintenance on the source is stopped.
(Apple closes their bug reports on llvm-gcc and gcc now.)
Invoking cc will invoke clang. Clang is the default compiler.
Invoking gcc will invoke llvm-gcc which you noted.
10.8 is the current OS X.

Also, all still supported Macs are 64-bit capable and Objective-C
developers have huge incentives to target 64-bit and ignore 32-bit.
Perhaps little surprise that there was a 32-bit bug in llvm-gcc.

If there is a bug in clang (the Ubuntu discussion), please report it
to the LLVM community. They have been very good about fixing bugs once
reported.
http://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/filing_bugs.html

-Eric
--