Hi!

I'm just tried compiling some ols Lua libraries. I understand that
luaL_openlib has been deprecated for a while, and that luaL_newlib is now
the preferred quick method for registering libraries. I've got my old
libraries to compile using LUA_COMPAT_MODULE, so I'm good.

However, I haven't found out why luaL_openlib and luaL_register is out of
the API now. These functions let us register a set of library functions with
a prefix in a simple way, conveniently giving the "mylibprefix.myfunc"
syntax. I've spent some time searching and browsing, trying to find out why
they were deprecated and how to achieve the same result now, but nothing
obvious has popped up yet. Thus I have some questions:

- why is are these functions now gone?
- is there a simple way to register a library with the "mylibprefix.myfunc"
syntax, i.e. something equivalent of luaL_register?
- are there any reasons to avoid LUA_COMPAT_MODULE?

I've may very well have missed the obvious here...

TIA!

Are