Someone correct nee if I'm wrong, but you can't, unfortunately. Local functions and variables are special in Lua. They're stored as numerical IDs internally.

You could use debug.getlocal to iterate over all locals, look for a matching name, and call its value, but that would be rather awkward. Though you could wrap it in an (inefficient) function.