[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: lua.stackexchange.com?
- From: Seppl Vorderhörer <Seppl.Vorderhoerer@...>
- Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 11:11:25 +0200
Well, as someone who uses Lua only very occasionally and does a lot in
other languages (mainly C/C++ and C# for Windows Environments) I can
only say, that I found stackexchange.com very useful more than one time
when looking for answers to specific problems.
The lua-l mailing list is not well suited for this as it's more kind of
a forum doing a lot of discussions instead of giving real answers and I
rarely found concrete answers to problems there (at least not without a
lot of digging).
But why do you want to get an own lua.stackexchange.com?
Is stackexchange.com itself not already sufficient?
Am 27.04.2013 21:29, schrieb Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo:
Do you think we are ready for our own lua.stackexchange.com?
Would it be a good thing for the Lua community?
There are already many Lua questions in stackoverflow.com:
To have our own site, lua.stackexchange.com, we'd need a critical mass.
But it would allow us to reduce the traffic in lua-l to announcements
and discussions about the design and future of Lua.
It seems to be that the stackexchange model succeeds quite well as both
a forum for questions and answers and an archive.
I see the following good points:
- it allows questions and answers to be stored and be publicly available
with permanent links
- it is easy to edit questions and answers using rich text
- the vote scheme naturally filters bad and wrong answers
- the reputation scheme identifies trustable members of the community
- the comments scheme for questions and answers helps to reduce noise
of parallel conversations
- there is no need to expose email addresses
- spam seems to be a very minor problem
The only not so good point is that you need to visit the site to see the
questions and answers. I think it is possible to receive notifications via
RSS and probably by email. I don't know whether there is a gateway to
and from mailing listings or just email.