> You know it's a lost cause when you see code with `sizeof (char)', although
> at least the developer gets props for trying.

I strongly desagree with this view. I frequently use 'sizeof(char)',
although I am very aware that this is 1 by definition. I think it helps
both to document that you are computing sizes of things with chars (e.g.,
strings) and to change char to some other type (e.g., wchar_t) if the
need comes.

It is a similar point of using '\0' instead of 0; it documents what you
are doing.

-- Roberto