Not only would that solve no problem at all, it's also an appallingly poor alternative to the well established mailing list it tries to replace.

They're not substitutes and I don't see Luiz proposing to replace the maillist .

But people already use stackoverflow for Lua (3648 questions currerntly tagged Lua), so some people either feel it's better for some questions (I'm in this camp), or possibly aren't aware of the mailing list (clearly, I'm not in that camp :))

I think stackoverflow is a better place for questions that have a fairly definitive answer. This list is better for discussions. Stackoverflow does in practice handle better frequently asked questions (answers turn up more often in google, the site provides automatic searches for similar questions, and the self-moderation and usage patterns mean that people who do ask duplicates get redirected promptly to the previous questions and answers).