Josh Simmons <simmons.44@gmail.com> writes:
> The reason people so often create local copies of global functions is
> partially because it's significantly faster, and partially because
> it's necessary if you're using `module`.
>
> I'm not quite sure what the point of this thread is to be honest.

Seriously, the original claim ("It's getting to be politically correct
in the Lua community to regard globals as bad") seemed kind of dubious
in the first place (and the use of charged pejorative terms like
"politically correct" suggests a polemic rather an open-minded
argument).

I think a certain suspicion of globals is evident amongst _any_
programming community that's reached a certain level of sophistication
(for good reasons!), and the Lua community seems to be pretty average
in this sense.

-miles

--
Opposition, n. In politics the party that prevents the Goverment from running
amok by hamstringing it.