On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> I wrote it because I was curious of the kind of performance you could get
> out of a pure Lua implementation.

So, what kind of performance did you get?

None yet :-D

I don't have any realistic use case that don't use captures at the moment.

Another motivation for writing this is that I'd like to port LPeg to Julia, using the same callback-based approach, and I thought it would be easier to take advantage of Roberto's huge test suite, to get the details right. Actually, PureLPeg.lua is a backport of the WIP JuLPeg.jl...

Julia has a lot of similarities with Lua: it is a Lispoid, with a Pascal-like syntax, 1-based arrays, the ability to overload math operators, and generic for loops that use a similar protocol.

The main differences are the Matlab-like syntactic sugar for linear algebra (it is a Matlab competitor), the presence of macros (the language is homoiconic), and the rich type system, coupled with multiple dispatch.

A very nice language overall.

/free advert :-)

-- Pierre-Yves