Hi Steve,

On 2 Apr 2013, at 17:19, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Gary V. Vaughan <gary@vaughan.pe> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone can do anything with it. I believe that's called the WTFYL license.
> Among other problems, Luadoc relies (indirectly) on luasocket which is not
> yet Lua 5.2 compatible.
>
> Actually, bleeding-edge version works with 5.2
>
> https://github.com/mwild1/luasocket/tree/unstable
>
> I point this out because it's a common misconception - there are versions of LuaSocket that work fine with 5.2 (I did my own port for the LuaBuild project).  But we're all waiting for a proper 2.1 release...

That's good to know... but still small consolation when someone is building
a Lua 5.2 stack, and wants to send us a stdlib pull request including doc
updates, and realises they have to jump through extra hoops to get LuaDoc
working, and first either build a separate 5.1 stack just for LuaDoc, or
else hand build and install bleeding edge dependencies.  Ick! }:->

Some of the "others" I was alluding to with my "among" comment in the
earlier post are that my impression is that LuaDoc is stagnating while LDoc
is gaining wider adoption.  Plus I don't actually have any experience with
either of them, so if I'm going to overhaul the stdlib doc-comments, I only
want to learn one.  And being a markdown user, and hand-written HTML hater,
LDoc seems like the better choice -- with the bonus of removing some hurdles
to sending pull-requests for future contributors :)

Cheers,
--
Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT vaughan DOT pe)