On 27 March 2013 11:18, liam mail <liam.list@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 27 March 2013, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Curiously enough, there's a parallel thread on the luarocks list about
>> the state of Lua networking libraries.
>>
>> Innovation is great, but it's also worth concentrating some effort on
>> the standard libs.
>
> Lua has a networking library as part of the core or at least blessed ? When
> did this happen ?

It was blessed, by the community (though it won't be for much longer
if it doesn't keep up). I'm one of those who is glad that the Lua
authors do not bless third-party libraries, because that's not how
open-source works.

For Prosody we could have easily implemented our own C libraries by
now, but it seemed Wrong. There is an existing Lua networking
framework that includes more than just LuaSocket - also LuaSec and
LuaEvent. We've contributed heavily to all of these, both in features
and bug-fixing. Ultimately I like to think that this is moving Lua
forward (however painfully slow), as well as the individual libraries
themselves.

Nevertheless, we are nearing a (long overdue) release ourselves, and
the most important of its new features depend on new versions of these
libraries being released. If they aren't, we *will* unfortunately be
forced to fork - however as I said above, this is how open-source
works. Arbitrary 'blessings' from the Lua team would only hinder that.

Regards,
Matthew