On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM, William Sumner <prestonsumner@me.com> wrote:
> Despite anticipating some resistance on this topic, and with well-earned respect aimed at Lua's curators, I felt it important to make a case because of these experiences.

External tools are often the solution; people sometimes consider this
a failing of the language, but we don't criticize C because Valgrind
is necessary.  Before C compilers matured, there was always room for
advanced lint tools.

Static global analysis tools are commonly used by Lua programmers who
are dealing with non-trivial amounts of code

And on the dynamic side, the tactic employed by strict.lua can be
generalized.  With Penlight's pl.strict, there's a way to make _all_
global tables throw an error on undefined access.

steve d.