On Mar 20, 2013, at 1:07 AM, William Sumner <prestonsumner@me.com> wrote:

> One can't assume all programmers are perfect, especially non-professional ones exposed to scripting APIs in games. Certainly, none of us are perfect. Otherwise, we'd have no need for compiler errors.

Perhaps this is merely a simple divide between "Easier to Ask for Forgiveness than Permission" vs. "Look Before You Leap". Lua is firmly in the first camp.

In the meantime, feel free to turn any table into LBYL with:

superdupersafe = setmetatable( {}, { __index = function( self, aKey ) error( ( 'Undefined %q' ):format( aKey ) ) end } )

And, if you really feel strongly about any of this, roll your own version of Lua. Perhaps it will get some legs. Or not.