On 19/03/2013 6:47 PM, steve donovan wrote:
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:27 AM, Ross Bencina
<rossb-lists@audiomulch.com>  wrote:
>function __y_bar(self) print "y" end
>function Y()
>   return { foo = __y_bar }
>end
>function Z()
>   local function __z_bar(self) print "z" end
>   return { foo = __z_bar }
>end
>
>Z runs slower than X or Y, suggesting that there is some runtime overhead in
>creating a named local variable (which surprises me, seems like a simple
>optimisation).

Yes, indeed; in Z you create a closure each time, which is a dynamic
object (much as how {} is a 'table constructor' not a 'table
literal').

Thanks Steve, that helps.

I wonder whether the language guarantees unique identities for separately constructed closures:

function Z()
  local function __z_bar(self) print "z" end
  return { foo = __z_bar }
end

assert( Z().foo ~= Z().foo )

That might also place some boundaries on expectations.

> I believe Lua 5.2 has made some progress in re-using closures that
> have no upvalues.

That's interesting. It means that the "inline local functions with no upvalues" may still be a valid idiom for performance-critical code.
Do you remember where this was discussed?

> LuaJIT may well optimize it to nothing ;)

I guess my main target is the notional language specification rather than any specific interpreter. If I know that "function" is likely to always cost more than x = a.y; then I will take due care to "pre-construct" my functions.

Ross.