I need to add some "intelligence" to a Lua error handler (written in C++), f.ex. taking specific action on a missing require() (which throws LUA_ERRRUN, not LUA_ERRFILE) when remote-debugging from a client with a case-insensitive filesystem to a daemon that's not. Or suggesting fixes on a malformed regex, etc. There are only a handful of LUA_ERR consts but dozens of different (yet finite) luaL_error() messages.

Is it possible to get more structured information from a Lua error callback than a "mangled" string generated by luaL_error()/lua_error()?

If not, is there a less dicey way to reduce an error string to a discrete enum than cascading if/else regexes?

If not, is there code out there (whatever the language) to extract a robust regex mapping table from the Lua VM source code?

My debugger is C-only (no extraneous Lua) and I'd really like to avoid patching the Lua VM.

thx,

-- p