It was thus said that the Great steve donovan once stated:

> No, the real problem is that you get very big dependency graphs, and
> checking whether a node has change involves checking whether any child
> node has changed. The obvious thing is to cache this information so
> one isn't needlessly checking branches.  I intend to do some
> experiments along this direction this weekend.
>
> I am _very_ aware that this must be complete old-hat and
> well-understood. Currently the biggest Lake project is LuaBuild, and
> there's about 43 KLoc involved with 80 files, and it takes lake about
> half-a-second to work out if something has changed.  That isn't good
> enough.

  Sounds about par with my Kitchen Sink Lua (48k lines of C, 107 files), but
make take 0.022s to figure out nothing has changed (that's on a 32-bit
2.mumbleGHz Linux box).  The slowest system I have access to (64-bit
Solaris, speed unknown) takes its sweet time with 0.248s to make nothing.

  -spc (but "make -j" is seriously impressive on the Sparc---wit 64 cores
	that's expected ... )