On Mar 7, 2013, at 17:27 , Rena wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Gavin Kistner <phrogz@me.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 6, 2013, at 10:01 PM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Python's "<>" for inequality is also strange to me, but not as strange as "~=".
>
> "<>" is different but makes perfect sense from a logical standpoint:
> "less than or greater than", i.e. not equal to.

This logic only holds when the elements being compared have a well-defined ordering. Numbers are ordered by definition, and strings can be ordered lexicographically, but nils, booleans, tables, userdata, functions, and threads don't have a meaningful ordering (except through metatables).

Thanks,
Matthew Frazier
http://leafstorm.us/