In message <D5C2736B-3C2C-483C-967F-EC3BB9CABE4F@msys.ch> you wrote:

>> Does anyone have implementations for string.format("%q", ?) in other
>> languages - other than the implementation inside Lua itsself.
>> I'm trying to produce some Lua code from inside PHP, and need to
>> properly format the strings. I thought it may be something lots of
>> people need to do, and there would be numerous bits of code, but I can't
>> find anything.
>
> How should "%q" format it's parameter?

The manual says:

The q option formats a string in a form suitable to be safely read back
by the Lua interpreter: the string is written between double quotes, and
all double quotes, newlines, embedded zeros, and backslashes in the string
are correctly escaped when written.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/