This is not a Lua-specific problem, it affects all programs
running on keyboards that do not offer full ASCII support.
That to my mind means a nonstandard keyboard, but
the solution is standard and not Lua-specific.

On any Xwindows-based system, one can write

$ xmodmap -e "keycode  28 = t T t T asciitilde"

select the "Third Level" key from a menu if you have
no AltGr, I chose left Alt. Then AltGr-t gives a tilde in
Xwindows based programs (which in effect means all.)

I can also with the click of a mouse choose this tweaked
keyboard or the standard response for which it was
designed.

Surely there are similar options for all modern
operating systems.