On 2013-02-08 3:04 PM, "William Sumner" <prestonsumner@me.com> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2013, at 12:29 PM, Alex Queiroz <asandroq@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM, William Sumner <prestonsumner@me.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> But it is a user interface for developers. If something is confusing, unusual, or difficult to type because it's missing on some keyboards, it's worth some thought.
> >>

> > Which is obviously not the case for ~=.
>
> Well, if that were so, this thread wouldn't exist!
>
> Preston

I wonder what all symbols Lua uses that are difficult to type on various international keyboards... I suppose the answer might be "all of them" given how many different countries and languages there are, but I feel like most keyboards are going to have ."() at least... Fortunately Lua tends to favour keywords over symbols.

Perhaps a solution is to pipe your code through a preprocessor that will replace != with ~= or whatever else you like. That avoids having to modify Lua, so don't have compatibility issues.