On 08/02/2013 14.25, sergei karhof wrote:
I wonder how many of us would prefer to have != instead of ~=. Probably many.

I don't think there are many Lua-only programmers around; C(++), for example, has a ~ operator. Besides, in Linux/Unix ~ is the home directory. Many national keyboards have problems with other symbols too. Typing braces on an Italian keyboard is not fun, not least because the required key combination tends to vary depending on the device maker.

As many others, I've solved the problem once and for all by setting the US layout and typing blindly on whatever keyboard I happen to use. (well... writing in French requires a lot of Alt-nnn, but for programming it's perfect)

--
  Enrico