(Robert Virding wrote ...)

Thank you Robert, not a tirade, just common sense, and unlike the other responses, to the point and constructive! There is no need for table.insert to duplicate the functionality of ordinary table indexing outside the list boundaries, and its behaviour with negative indexes is simply, sophistry aside, a bug! By any reasonable argument, table.insert and table.remove should be proper inverse operations and should guarantee to preserve the integrity (and in the case of table.insert, the content) of the list part of the table.

I'll do what I should have done in the first place, post a PowerPatch on the Wiki and let people take it or leave it.

- John