Hi.

Not built into the language, but I do something along those lines:

https://github.com/ggcrunchy/corona-sdk-snippets/blob/master/per_coroutine_ops.lua

And registering a time function, toward the top:

https://github.com/ggcrunchy/corona-sdk-snippets/blob/master/main.lua

My own use case is "how much time left, on this frame?" for a bunch of
game AI agents. I'm not sure this repo actually demonstrates it in
action (it's excerpted from a larger private project), but basically
what you're asking is what I do.