I don't think being defensive is good enough here. If you are accepting "data" into your system from the outside world you really have to be paranoid and assume they are out to get you. Because they will be! It is not much different building firewalls where the safest way is to start by blocking everything and then only allow the bare minimum. Depressing perhaps, but the only safe way to go.

Robert