On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How large is the Lua codebase that you manage? (Across all relevant projects.)
>
> I'm more interested in how you guys manage your large Lua codebase.
> Even with just 10KLoc projects I'm already starting to feel swamped!

Well, using strict coding guidelines, mandatory code review, mandatory
auto-tests, some discipline, and project/developer rotation I guess.

We have about 500 KLOC of Lua code now across all projects (not all
actively developed, though), and, I
guess no one really *intimately* knows _whole_ codebase anymore.
However, I think that most of team members know intimately a large
chunk of code (up to whole project), and know what is going on in most
of other important code parts. As long as code is consistent and
predictable and covered with tests, it is possible — with some
practice — to figure out what is going on in a particular part of code
in reasonable time, and to start adding new features there more or
less effectively.

> Maybe 2013 can be a 'Year of Static Analysis'. Thinking of looking at
> whole-program static analysis,  using doc comments.  Even if a tool is
> only 70% good, that's a lot better than 0%

Would be a nice thing to have. I still need to try lua-inspect on real data...

Alexander.