On 27/12/2012 20:00, Michal Kottman wrote:
The downloads are not gone, they are just hidden/changed. While you cannot upload custom
files, you can download the source code as a ZIP/tar.gz when you tag it using a version.
The downloads are available here: https://github.com/stevedonovan/Microlight/tags

The download are gone if you want to provide an already built solution. We can now only retrieve the source code. While it is logical for a source code repository, it is impractical for those wanting to provide open source utilities for the general public, not willing to learn to compile a project just to get a password manager...

And, well, (to keep on topic), the success of the LuaBinaries project shows it is just convenient to quickly grab a binary for your platform rather than getting the sources, finding the right project description or settings, downloading a compiler, perhaps a project builder (make, CMake, etc.), and so on. I prefer to get an IUP binary rather than using their special (perhaps awesome!) build process. Yes, that's a kind of laziness for us programmers. Although at one time, I tried to get Buildr (a project builder made in Ruby) with JRuby on Windows and just failed to get the dependencies right...

I guess that the trend to have projects on multiple public repositories (often Google Code + GitHub) will grow as long as other repositories offer such download option.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France